11 November 2010

Yes - we've got some Banana Bread

I love bananas - but the moment that they get that very first brown spot - I can't eat them,  I freeze them for another day.   Lately I have been using them to make gluten free muffins for a friend, but you can only make so many muffins , so after a brief discussion with Mr. Skip , I made banana bread.  Apparently Mr. Skip loves banana bread , his mother use to make it for him - so no pressure at all.

Over the years I have collected numerous banana bread recipes always falling back on good old Fannie Farmer it has always been good , but I wanted something else, so I took several others and came up with some pretty seriously good bread.  The top was crunchy and little sugary , the inside was moist,  filled with toasted slightly salty walnuts and a touch of cinnamon.  It was good and Skip loved it so much that he ate one of the three mini loaves that I made.


Mr.Skip's Banana Bread


4 ripe bananas
1/3 c melted brown butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1 T maple syrup
1 egg
1 T Jamesons Whiskey (thanks smitten kitten)
pinch salt
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1 1/2 c unbleached flour
2 c toasted and salted walnuts

Preheat oven to 350*  Grease 3 mini loaf pans.
Brown butter , while butter is browning mash bananas with sugar, syrup, salt , cinnamon . Add brown butter , egg and Jamesons. Mix in remaining ingredients and divide among 3 loaf pans.

Bake aprox 40 -45 mins.

No comments:

Post a Comment