23 March 2011

je t'aime mousse aux chocolat

I am a Francophile.
I love all things French -  I am especially in love with Paris.
It started with Madeline and le Petit Prince, then I met
 my culinary hero Julia Child and
 my French teacher Madame Wagner.
 My first trip to France (there have been many since) was not until my
 twenties but I will never forget it and I will never
forget the biggest bowl of mousse aux chocolat
I had ever seen. It was to be shared at the table and
I know that every last bit was eaten.


the secret to a perfect mousse aux chocolat

Over the years I have tried many recipes for mousse, including Julia's
but I always go back to the one that can be found on the
back of the Nestle Dessert Chocolate Noir Bar. 
I have not been able to find the bars
 in America, so I always stock up when I am in France. 
 I found this site the other day
chocolate as well as some of my other favorites, so I am placing an
order tonight.  On to the recipe!!
 
 

mousse aux chocolat

3.5 oz chopped nestle dessert chocolate or
           bittersweet chocolate
3 eggs - separated
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
pinch kosher salt

Melt chocolate over double boiler - cool. Beat in egg yolks and salt till smooth.
Whip egg whites to soft  peaks, slowly add the sugar and continue beating until
whites are glossy and until you have medium peaks.
Fold in 1/4 of the whites into the chocolate, then fold in remaining whites and fold
until incorporated. Try not to deflate the mousse to much. 
You can divide the mousse into 4 bowls or place it in a medium size bowl and
chill for about 4 hours.  Top with whipped cream if you desire!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment